Monday, February 15, 2010

Partner of the Week: Craig Haydon

Funny guy with a big heart who doesn't take himself too seriously, and likes long walks along the lake... ;)

Name: Craig Haydon
Age: 39
Birth Place:  South Africa, but grew up Yorkshire, UK
Profesion : Tutors adults who are unemployed, some who are in rehabilatation from drug or alcohol abuse,  many have disabilities, ranging in age anywhere from 16 to 65 years old. He designs  government training programs to get them back to work. Before this, he managed call centers, worked on cruise ships, was a hotel manager in a resort in Spain, among many other things!
Favorite Song: Queen, Winter's Tale from the Made in Heaven Album



Y&N: You have traveled a lot. Where do you recommend we go?
CH: Egypt. We went on a cruise on the Nile to see the Pyramids. Absolutely gorgeous. It was so magical, because you're cruising at night and you wake up in different places. We were going to ride Camels, but when I saw the camel, I changed my mind and took a boat instead. It was much better!
Brazil is on the top of my list, also.


South Africa is absolutely amazing. I went in 2003, for 2 weeks, but I stayed for 7 weeks. There is a National Safari park, Gruka, is exactly the same size as Wales. It's huge. I went to Johannesburg and did all the west coast, to Cape town, you drive through the vineyards, and then you drive through the desert, and then suddenly you're driving into snow...It's absolutely unbelievable... it's like 20 countries in one...
If partners want to go this year, because MBA students are going to go, I would recommend to go at least one week before or to stay a week after, because you need that amount of time... And your gonna need a tour...and a car... The most amazing place to be in the world.

Y&N: How do you react when you realized that you were going to move to Switzerland?
CH: I am used to moving for work. He told me «Oh, we're going to Switzerland. » «What the hell are you going there?» « I'm gonna do an MBA.» «Why? You are a doctor, why to go into business?» But, I supported him 200%. So we flew here for the interview. And I thought «Oh, this is a wonderful place!». We came at the end of the summer, and it was gorgeous.  But personally, I prefer French people, they are so much more helpful, so much more polite, so much nicer people. But I enjoy Lausanne, even if I get bored. The only thing I don't like here is the dog shit. I am sick of it. In England, you would get fined. You don't see dog shit on the street.  I go for a walk around the lake every morning and my knees are starting to hurt because I have to walk around all of the dog shit.

"Ahh, perfect, right in Craig's path."- Dog

Y&N: What do you think your life will be like next year? In 5 years?
CH: No idea. Not a clue. I don't care where we live. I just want somewhere warm. I love the sound of crickets at night. I would like Adzuan to have a job that we can see each other. In Wales we used to take a car and go to the lake, to the mountains just for a week-end. I miss that. The only thing we do together now is pay bills. On Saturdays we go and pay bills. Also, possibly, starting a new program, and finishing my book. I'm not motivated at that moment to do it.

Y&N: You already wrote a book ?
CH: Yes, it was printed into series in the newspaper, My first book was a murder mystery. I'd like the next one to be printed as a book. I thought having this view (of the mountains and lake) from my desk, the inspiration would come. I have more time to write now but I am thinking about changing the story and for the story to take place here.


View from Craig's Bedroom Window

Y&N: Have you always loved writing?
CH: I love writing. At school, I wrote a short story about my summer break. I was 12 and my teacher told me I was a genius. She told me that my short story could have been printed then because of how vivid my descriptions were, etc. I love to observe and people watch.

Y&N: Do you think your book could be adapted into a movie?
CH: No, it's not good enough. I'm not sure James Cameron would do it. But maybe a series. But Leonardo Di Caprio will have to be in it. And I'll have to meet him. And he will have to be naked a lot.

"I would love to be in your movie!"

Y&N: Can You Describe Yourself in 3 words?
CH: Crazy, even before my accident... Fun-loving and always there for people... Sometimes I do too much...

Y&N: Can you tell us about the accident? 
CH: I got very strange, weird after my accident...13 years ago. It opened my eyes. I was hit by a motorcycle. I almost died...3 times... It took 9 months to recover. I'm completely fine now, but I lost my memories of that day.

Y&N: What is Your Favorite TV series?
CH: The Golden Girls. An American TV show from the late 80's. Four old women that lived together in a house. One is complete slut- she sleeps with anything that moves. One is very level-headed, very strong, she's like a man, looks like one too. Then, Rose, who is naive and finally, Ma, a very strong Sicilian woman, who is the oldest. It's absolutely hilarious.



Y&N: The person you would like to meet...
CH: Freddie Mercury. He was quite unique. I just grew up with Queen. I know everything about him. My favorite album, Made in Heaven, was the one he made just before he died. He recorded it in Montreux, here in Switzerland. The cover of the album is in Montreux. If you listen to the voice, you can't tell this man is about to die. He has such a powerful voice. He was a very insecure, shy man. I saw him during the Magic Tour in 1983, in Wembley.
Loves Queen and everyone in his family loves to sing, including him. 
His mother was a soprano for Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey, among others

No comments:

Post a Comment