Sunday, February 21, 2010

Partner of the Week: Lety Silva

Happy Mexican Mommy !

Name: Lety Silva
Age: 30 years
Partner: Jorge Rodela
Born: in Monterrey (northern Mexico). Lived in Poland, UK for 2 years, Spain where her 2 girls were born.
Children: Paulina (2.5 years) and Monica (10 months).
Favorite song: Amazed by Lonestar. This is the song we danced at our wedding. At my gradiuaton party, Jorge sang this song to me while we danced and i said this is the song i want for my wedding with him.

Y&N: How did you react when you learn Jorge was accepted to IMD ?
LS: First of all, it was  a surprise. He got the call on his birthday, it was his best present ever! I was really happy and proud because it's not easy to get in. At the same time, I was also nervous. I didn't know what to expect of Lausanne. How will it be with 2 children, almost on my own? I was a little bit afraid, but today I'm relieved.

Y&N: Do you feel European after living in Poland, UK, Spain and now Switzerland?
LS: No, I'm REALLY Mexican !!! and I'm really proud of it. I really like the lifestyle here in Europe. The views, the chance to walk everywhere. In Mexico, you go everywhere in the car. You spend a lot of time in the car, but here you can walk everywhere.The public transportation is amazing.

Y&N: Is it better to raise the girls in Madrid or here in Lausanne ?
LS: Maybe it was easier in Madrid, because we speak Spanish. I had a car and they were younger. Now, here with the weather, at the begining it was a problem. Paulina always said « Oh it's too cold, it's too cold, i don't want to go outside ! » But now she loves the snow, she loves going outside.

 Paulina and her bicycle

Y&N: Where do you see yourself next year ? In five years..
LS: I have no idea. I would like to definitely go back to Mexico, but  maybe we'll spend 3 or 4 more years in Europe. Anything can happen.

Y&N: What do you miss the most about Mexico ?
Well, my family, my friends. I talk with my mom and dad everyday on Skype. They like talking with the girls, seeing them. But also the food, the tortillas, elote, the tacos. I usually find stores that sell Mexican food, but I haven't found one yet!

Her favorite food and drink

Y&N: Favorite food or drink ?
LS: As an alcoholic, tequila. I love margaritas ! For me it's the best ! My favorite food is arrachera from Mexico. It is the meat you put on barbecue with guacamole and quesadillas! 

Y&N: Where in Mexico do you recommend we visit?
LS: If you like the beach, the sun then Playa del Carmen. I haven't been myself but my friends were and told me it's amazing. The water is really crystal clear, the views are beautiful. You can have a great time there.

Vamos a la Playa... del Carmen!

Y&N: Do you plan to resume your job? 
LS: Hopefully. We are planning to have another kid. After that, I hope I can start working again. I used to work in Mexico in a company called Danfoss. I was in the purchasing department and worked as a buyer and I really enjoyed. I got to be in contact with a lot of people and I like to talk with everybody. So it was the perfect job for me. I also like shopping!
  
Y&N: The best places to go shopping in Lausanne ?
LS: I don't have time to go shopping but I hope to find some good places soon.

Y&N: Can you tell us a place you like in Lausanne?
LS: Parc de Milan is amazing... The kids enjoy  it a lot ! It's just 2 blocks from my house, so it's really convenient. And also for a coffee, I like the Hotel d'Angleterre with the big terrace you can see the lake and the Alps. I've been only once on a sunny day, having my coffee, looking at the lake, at the mountains. It was perfect !!!


Y&N: Something strange or unexpected about you...
LS: When people meet me, they think that I'm really serious. I don't know why, maybe my face. But I really like parties, really like to make friends, and I really love dancing! I learned belly dancing and hip hop when I was in the UK. I really like dancing a lot to Cumbias, Tex-Mex, I love dancing to this kind of music.

Y&N: How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
LS: Happy. Friendly. Responsible.

Y&N: If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would you choose?
LS: The Pope Jean-Paul II. I was planning to go to the Vatican just before he died. If i could have the chance to meet him, it would be great. When I see pictures of him, I just felt peace, calm.
I'm catholic. I really like to follow religion, especially in the season of Eastern.


Y&N: Can you tell us something in your native language?
LS: Estamos muy contentos de estar en Lausanne. Apoyando en Jorge en su MBA y esperamos tener un ano muy bueno con todos ustedes.

Y&N: And something in French...
LS: I've just started my French course this week. Je suis Mexicaine, bonjour, merci beaucoup.

The happy family!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    My husband is applying for next year's class. We know the year will be intense and I've been keeping track of what his life will be like by reading the MBA blog. It's been very helpful and informative!

    I would love to learn more about what it is like for the partners?
    - How are the partners coping with being away from their spouse/partner for long periods daily?
    - How are the partners keeping themselves busy?
    - What do the partners do to help support their partner (w/ staying connected to the family, managing the stress of school, etc.)
    - What are some of the challenges the partners go through?

    Do you think some of the partners can write posts on these topics which complement the posts by the MBA students? Recently the MBAs just finished an integrative Exercise. What was that like from a partner's perspective?

    Thanks for considering these topics!

    ReplyDelete